Hearthstone Tournament!

Discussion in 'Events & Tournaments' started by Shankzilla, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Rituro

Rituro Critwrencha Emeritus Administrator

I don't have that! Why would I have that by now? I want it! Was it a gift or anniversary thing?

2. The Dread Pirate Jabu

The Dread Pirate Jabu Member

Basically it's super op and fits in every deck, so it's one of the first legendary cards people craft.

3. binosink

binosink New Member

I like the proposed 1-3-8 Jabu brought up, it makes sense in terms of dust. The only catch would be the adventure cards but that would be hard to assign values to since they're uncraftable and you have to progressively get them. Like I just got deaths bite last night after saving up coins from arena and laddering, in total I spent 2100 coins just to get to that wing in naxx. 100 coins a pack is 21 packs which is a minimum 21 rares, but assigning a 21 rare dust value to deaths bite would be ridiculous even though its a pretty essential card in patron warrior (let alone the patrons themselves). But its still a better starting point instead of the 2-3-5 which was kind of meant to be an arbitrary example.

The cap is hard to say whether its to restrictive or not balancing enough. But I think 40 might be a good starting point, I'd like to see it a little lower personally but we could always adjust as we go since were just coming up with a system its bound of not be perfect off the bat. Also I guess its ultimately up to Shank, I just hope we can find a system that is friendly enough to new players so they'll join and feel they have a legitimate shot at doing well.

4. The Dread Pirate Jabu

The Dread Pirate Jabu Member

I think that adventure cards are fine being ignored, the idea behind limiting the rarity in your deck is aligned with the idea the idea that higher rarities are a little more powerful/interesting than lower rarities rather than literally just the straight dust/money involved. Worrying too much about specific cases for adventure cards wouldn't be worth the effort imo, just lump them in with the rest of the rares and the like.

It'll just be one of those cases where if you don't have the card, and can't get it without buying the adventures, then you're probably not playing that deck in the first place. Any decks that only really work based on a handful of cards are usually made because you found said card and made a deck with it. If not, then you already have a large collection and it's a moot point. While I personally recommend just buying (with cash) the adventures anyways due to how grossly overexpensive they are in coins, it's not like the adventure cards are super 100% essential, outside of fairly rare examples like death's bite and patron literally spawning their own deck.

Most cards are easily substituted for similar cards outside of rather specific cases. For instance, if you want to make a dragon deck without blackrock mountain (first off, why??) you could substitute Blackwing Corrupter with a Bommb Lobber, and so on.

EDIT: Also, to be clear, I'd still prefer we don't limit deck building by rarity. I think it's unnecessary, and of the 4 people who played last time I think only Rituro and maybe Bino had particularly limited collections (I haven't exactly looked at how much he plays/how large his collection is). I just think it's not a very important factor, once again I'd like to point out that Bino's nearly undefeated Mech Shaman had only 8 rares in it and nothing higher, hardly anything hard to achieve. I also don't know if that factored people wanting to play or not. So it may be helpful to find out from prospective competitors who weren't in the first how appealing that would be to them.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  5. Shankzilla

Shankzilla Duke of Demolitions Administrator

I think a salary cap system would be interesting but right now it seems pretty pointless if we only have 4 people participating. Till we receive more players, we won't be implementing a card restriction system.