Hearthstone Tournament!

Discussion in 'Events & Tournaments' started by Shankzilla, Jun 16, 2015.

1. walterwalterwalter

walterwalterwalter New Member

Tis true. Rituro fought with honor, but my pay2win cards were too stronk.

2. binosink

binosink New Member

Binosink def. Jabu 3-0 in a scenario were binosink was a lucky bastard several times over. The prophecy has been fufilled, I now have the rite to destroy walter and his lack luster hearthstone decks.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  3. Shankzilla

Shankzilla Duke of Demolitions Administrator

Brackets have been updated!

4. walterwalterwalter

"Lack luster"? Son, you're a buster.
    Your decks suck. Not even your trash talk passes muster.
    I'm gonna beat you down. Show you what I think of that bluster.

• Ham Ham x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Rituro

Rituro Critwrencha Emeritus Administrator

So, Jabu... 3rd place match?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. binosink

binosink New Member

You think your rhymes are so tight but you can't handle this bite.
    You best check yourself, you'll have to hold on tight.
    I'm coming for you with all of my might.
    Because.
    Homie.
    This bustah is gonna dust ya.

Also I could probably play tonight if that works for you, was going to barbecue but there is a thunderstorm so I'm just gonna wait it out.

• Ham Ham x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Rituro

HEARTHSTONE RAP BATTLE! HEARTHSTONE RAP BATTLE!
    Anybody good at beatboxing?

8. walterwalterwalter

Tragedy! Bino used god draws hacks spyware voodoo witchcraft lots of skill (and a little luck) to wreck me, 3-1. ggs, sir. ggs.

9. binosink

binosink New Member

I'd like to thank my shaman deck for always giving me the perfect 3 turn hand. Despite all the times I thought about not starting it, it always pulled through with some sort of amazing rng related save until the very end. You the real mvp shaman deck. You the real mvp. ggs walter.

10. Shankzilla

Shankzilla Duke of Demolitions Administrator

Congrats to our winner Binosink! If you would like me to run more of these please let me know. I would like to also like to apologize for not getting to this sooner as I was out of town for the weekend!

11. binosink

binosink New Member

I honestly had fun destroying walter with it, I enjoyed the variety of decks people brought and wish I had gotten more creative. I'd be willing to play more if there was enough people that wanted to as well.

12. walterwalterwalter

I'd also like to keep playing if we can drum up some interest. I'd also vote for a format where Bino can't ride his luck mech shaman to victory multiple times. :p

13. Rituro

What about a variation on "peasant Magic", with hard caps on the number of orange and blue cards in a deck?

14. binosink

binosink New Member

I like Rituro's idea, but maybe we could assign like a 'salary cap' system.

Like legendaries would cost 5 points, epics 3 points and rare 2 points. Then give like a point cap on decks. That way if someone doesn't have a legendary they want to use or don't have any they could fill up their deck with more rares and epics to try to balance it out?

The only problem would be finding a balance I guess, might take some trial and error but I think it would make for some cool decks and even out the playing field.

15. Rituro

I'm very intrigued by the salary cap idea. 5-3-2 seems about right on the face of it; maybe set a 15-point cap to test things out and see if that's too restricting?

16. The Dread Pirate Jabu

The Dread Pirate Jabu Member

The problem I have with restricting cards is that most of the most powerful decks save control warrior and handlock are very cheap. Even Freeze mage only has 2 legendaries and 4ish epics. Bino's Shaman which lucked it's way to victory every game likely didn't have any legendaries sans possible al'akir and probably no epics sans doomhammer.

Meanwhile my dragon mage costs quite a bit, while probably not being near as good a deck, just a fun one.

EDIT: Also, I think the real factor here is the conquest game mode being better than last hero standing. Last hero is nice for low collections, but has a bit more luck involved. If you take a class to shore up your weaknesses in your other deck, but lose the favored match anyways you're now SoL.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  17. binosink

binosink New Member

I agree with Jabu about the game modes. I think that conquest would be better suited for a tournament setup considering the competitive aspect of it. It really puts emphasis on having 3 good decks put up against 3 other good decks. Instead of riding a streak.

However I think that the cap would still be a good idea, a lot of 'top tier' decks don't have a ton of legendaries but they generally would still have a lot of cards that are hard to get. Making it harder for players with smaller collections to follow these 'meta' decks. I think with the 'salary cap' it would bring some of them down to earth, making it more competitive and enjoyable for people with smaller collections possibly increasing participation. Also it is true that my Shaman deck only had 8 rares in it. Everything else was either class specific cards or commons. So at a 15 point cap with our '5-3-2' example I would have to cut 1 rare to play it.

Also as a side note, lots of statements were thrown around about my shaman deck. I'll link in below so everyone can see it, but generally it did quite often get lucky but I also don't think it just lucked its way to victory. It was meant to be able to have lots of burst. I chose those cards fairly specifically after playing that deck for a season to get me to rank 4 without playing any other deck so that I could fine tune it. I honestly don't have a lot of the original set cards to so that is why there is only rares in it.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilde...88:2;12191:1;12231:2;12241:2;12246:2;12269:2;

For those who don't want to click the link there are:

8 Rares

15 Goblins vs Gnomes cards
    7 Class specific cards
    8 Orignal set cards

18. The Dread Pirate Jabu

The Dread Pirate Jabu Member

When I say your deck lucked its way to victory, I don't mean to imply that it was a bad deck or that it was poorly constructed. Just that I felt you got absurdly good starting hands, looking at your complete decklist only furthers that feeling.

In pure dust standing, completely ignoring if a card is from an adventure or pack, or if a card is very situational and less likely to be had in the first place (everyone has Dr. Boom by now) here is the dust cost of the current tier 1 decks and the points they use in the proposed salary cap.

Patron Warrior-1120
    Points=20

Demon Handlock-6440
    Points=53

Oil Rogue-3520
    Points=35

Mid Range Druid-4240

Mech Shaman-3580
    Points-26

Even the absurdly cheap patron warrior can't fit all of it's cards into that limit. And decks like Handlock and Mid-Range Druid become 100% unplayable, making your tournament's mini-meta much more narrow and easy to target.

The comparison between Mid-Range Druid and Handlock emphasizes how flawed the current proposal is IMO, Despite a larger than 2k dust difference, they cost roughly the same amount of points. This is because the handlock has a large number of legendaries, while the druid has a large number of epics.

Similarly, Mech Shaman has a comparable disparity with Patron Warrior, despite the fact that the dust costs are very different, they're at roughly the same points.

I think rares and epics are overvalued in the proposed system as dust-wise rares cost roughly twice as much as commons, epics 10 times as much, and legendaries 40 times as much. Something like 1-3-8 with a cap closer to 30-40 would be far more appealing to me.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  19. Rituro

A whosa-whatnow?

20. walterwalterwalter