Dungeons & Dragons: Fifth Edition!

Discussion in 'Events & Tournaments' started by QyenidQuartz, Oct 26, 2015.

1. QyenidQuartz

QyenidQuartz Shitty Wizard Server Administrator Administrator

Hey all,

I'm going to be running what should be an interesting twist on the classic TableTop RPG Dungeons and Dragons, and I'd like you all to help! I'm gathering a core group of players to run through a traditional weekly D&D session (Tuesdays at 7PM is the current time slot), but I know there are quite a few people out there that can't or don't want to commit to that. For those people, I am planning to run a weekly drop-in/drop-out session where the time commit is only a few hours, currently Sundays starting at 2 PM.

The twist is that: Each week, the drop-in/drop-out session will have an impact on the main campaign. In this way, more people will be able to contribute a little bit to the bigger world we're creating, and will get a chance see how their choices affect the greater world more immediately.

I'm going to be running through two weeks worth of character creation, software setup, and system basics workshops if people have questions for the times we're expecting to play.

I'll be on Teamspeak Tuesday at 7PM and Sunday at 2PM this week and next if you want to check it out :)

2. Kendomo

Kendomo Rainbow Afro

Probably will make a character akin to TADGAR the half-orc barbarian. Come play if you want delicious sandwiches.

3. Rituro

Rituro Critwrencha Emeritus Administrator

Of COURSE it has to happen on a Tuesday where I work. Of course it does. I love this idea, Pz; the Sunday drop-in session might be more my speed. Heck, maybe I can even get @Brayconn to join us.

4. QyenidQuartz

Hey all, we're going to go over using Fantasy Grounds to create and use characters today. Go ahead and download the free "Demo" version as that is all you'll need to play. I may be a tiny bit late as I'm having lunch with my grandparents, but I'll leave a session running if you'd like to connect and poke around.

The IP address to connect to today is: 68.111.238.39

Once again, I'll be online around 2 PM if you have any questions!

5. Moshi

Moshi Member

I'd love to play, but never played an actual game of D&D before. Also I don't have a clue where to start

6. NERV.OUS

NERV.OUS Member

I looked at that fantasy grounds thing on steam . . .
    [​IMG]

• Pancake Milkshake Pancake Milkshake x 1
    • List
  7. QyenidQuartz

If you can make it next Sunday at 1 or 2 PM we'll be doing a cool little drop-in session for people who are new or can't commit to a full campaign. I've come up with a rough schedule I'll try to keep to (all times in Pacific):

1:00 PM - 2:00 PM : Installing / Setting up Fantasy Grounds. Just hop on during that time and I can walk you through getting the software installed and running. The interface is a bad mix of skeuomorphic design choices and power-user focused interface, but you only need to learn a little bit to be proficient enough to play. I was able to lead a group of friends I know offline, including a non-native English speaker, to play in about 15 minutes.

2:00 PM - 3:00 PM: Character Creation Workshop. I'll work with people to create characters in Fantasy Grounds and explain how character creation in Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition works.

3:00 PM - 5:00 PM: Adventure! I'll guide all players around a pre-made campaign so you can get a taste of D&D in action :) The details are secret ;D

In the future, I want to keep the setup/character stuff to an hour before the session (1PM-2PM) and start playing the adventure at 2 PM until we reach a good stopping point (usually between 1 1/2 to 2 hours after we begin play). There is a lot up in the air still as we nail down a good format that balances new and experienced players.

We have a party already set up for the Tuesday night games but you're welcome to sit in Teamspeak and listen, or watch a Steam Broadcast from my perspective, or other players' perspectives if they are willing to share.

You can always catch me on Steam if you have a small question and I'll answer you the best I can!

8. QyenidQuartz

Tonight, our adventure begins at 7 PM Pacific, but I have one more wrench to throw into this before we begin :)

From 6 PM to 7 PM I'll be online to allow for any last-moment character changes you may want to do as part of the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide! This includes a few new sub-races, class arch-types, and a whole set of new backgrounds.

9. QyenidQuartz

Getting Set Up with Fantasy Grounds: Downloading the software
    Fantasy Grounds will allow you to connect to paid license holders with the free "Demo" version. However, you will not be able to tweak your character on your own - you will need to connect to the host for the game you're playing to look at and modify your character (for example, when you level up). You can download the latest version of Fantasy Grounds in one of two ways:
    1. Directly from the Fantasy Grounds site
    2. In Steam, go to the Fantasy Grounds product page and click the Download Demo option
    Once you have it installed and launched, you'll find a very brown and tan interface before you! Next, we can take a look at getting into the game...

You can connect to my Fantasy Grounds session today by joining the IP: 68.111.238.39 - I'm also in Teamspeak so join there as well!

10. tyler

tyler Member

Is this still happening ? I played DND 3.0 back in the day, would it be possible to jump in without experience in the last decade on a Sunday perhaps ?

11. Rituro

Rituro Critwrencha Emeritus Administrator

As someone DMing a 5th Ed. campaign for his family - the vast majority of which learned 3.0 first - I can safely say 5th will feel like a warm, welcoming recliner chair. The game has been streamlined in all the good ways while retaining all the D&D goodness you know and love.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. QyenidQuartz

So far I haven't had a lot of takers on the Sunday session, but if I get some commitments from people I'd love to run a one-off for everyone :)

13. tyler

tyler Member

Awesome. I can't commit beforehand as I wouldn't want to waste anybodies time if something came up out of the blue, but if I see people in the room or hear about anything being setup tentatively on Sunday morning/afternoon I'll be sure to message you guys. Turns out I haven't played since (2nd!) edition, not 3rd, so I may have more then a little brushing up to do.

14. Flightless Lobster

Flightless Lobster New Member

I would play a thing, but I cant on sundays.

15. Mister Sandman

Mister Sandman Active Member

Friends and I just experienced a total party kill on Hoard of the Dragon Queen, which apparently has less than satisfactory views among the community. It was my first time playing D&D, and we're restarting a new campaign, so it's awesome to see this here! (I did not see this thread until this very moment.)